ORACLE

6/13/2010

Chthonian Stars

In my last post I asked if anyone would be interested in seeing a Sword & Sanity hack using the Traveller ruleset. Not everyone was sold on the idea, and I can understand why. This was something of a thought experiment, mainly brought on by my research into Wanderer and the thought of using the Traveller rules to run a fantasy setting. My vision of such a game would be called Dreamer and take place in Lovecraft's Dreamlands. By the comments I received, most liked the idea of playing a Lovecraftian game with Traveller, but thought the game itself should stay rooted in science fiction. For those who haven't heard there is such a game coming very soon from WildFire LLC (CthulhuTech) and Mongoose Publishing called Chthonian Stars, which is a near future sci-fi/horror setting powered by the latest edition of Traveller (also published by Mongoose). The website for Chthonian Stars is pretty sparse right now, but the latest edition of Mongoose Publishing's in-house magazine (Signs & Portents #81) has a very informative sneak-peek of the game for those who would like to find out more.

4 comments:

Trey said...

I haven't heard of Cthonian Stars. I'll be on the lookout for that.

Sean Robson said...

The sneak-peak looks intriguing. I might just have to get back into Traveller after all these years. It was an interesting idea to confine the setting to the Solar system. Cosmic horror becomes a little less scary when humanity is spread throughout the galaxy and the players have jump-capable ships.

netherwerks said...

The stars must be right. I thought this sort of Traveller-meets-Cthulhu stuff was dead after the Eighties. Maybe it was just the crowd I was involved with after all. It's strange to see this stuff coming back with Terminal Space, CthulhuTech,etc. But it is fun. I'm very curious to see how they run with this writhing, wriggling squamous mess of pulpy goodness...

Shawn Driscoll said...

I cannot wait for The Void. I hope to see it in print one day.