ORACLE

4/25/2010

Dave Carson Illustrates the Outer Dark

I am beyond proud to announce that Swords Against the Outer Dark has a new and much improved header, illustrated by the world's finest Lovecraftian artist Dave Carson! This is one of his original pieces approved by Mr. Carson for the use on this blog. In the past I have prided myself on the use of public domain artwork when designing graphics, but that is not to say that I haven't been tempted to 'help myself' to artwork by a few of my favorite artists. Two artist come to mind that I have been tempted to 'borrow' from more than any others: Frank Frazetta and Dave Carson. I am proud to say I no longer have to be tempted. Thank you Dave Carson!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it is indeed awesome. Excellent artwork!

Sean Robson said...

Cool new look! I like the sword and skull motif as it emphasizes the fusion of Sword & Sanity.

I must confess I was VERY fond of your previous header and side-bar illustrations, though. I'm a big fan of Ernst Haeckel's work and have several of his prints decorating my walls. Of course, being an invertebrate palaeontologist by vocation, I am somewhat biased.

Shane Mangus said...

@Bat - I am glad you like it!

@Sean - I am far from finished with using Haeckel's work as a springboard for outre graphics. His art is so meticulous and refined, and yet so creepy to me that I can't possibly see not using him for artistic inspiration. As I stated before, I am almost positive that Lovecraft himself had access to Haeckel's work, and I would wager that it scared the hell out of him!

Clovis Cithog said...

thanks for stopping by Jasoomian Dreams,
you website is pure
eye candy

Norman J. Harman Jr. said...

"That's bad ass"

Was my honest, I swear, first thought upon seeing the banner.